rachaelspence12

Variety is the Spice of Life

My addiction in life is books (with chocolate a close run second). I am a solidly confirmed convert to Ebooks - not because I dislike paper, "real" books, but because they take up less space! I have literally run out of room in my small, 2.5 bed UK terrace to store any more books - and I think if I carried on buying books for me AND the children... divorce would ensue! I can't promise to keep this blog up to date - reading takes priority! I can promise variety, and honesty.

A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4)
Elizabeth Hunter
The Draykon Series Omnibus (Draykon, #1-3)
Charlotte E. English

Even better 2nd time around!

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

I read this book for the first time in August after looking at it for about 12 months, debating whether to read.

The first time I enjoyed it, the second - when I read it as part of the author-led real-time reading experience via Facebook, was even better.

Diana is a witch in denial.  She is the last in a long line of witches, with strong magic but due to experiences she has had she is strongly in denial of her magic.  She is now a renowned historian of science and has no intention of allowing magic into her life; that is until she encounters a strange book which she calls for her research.  Suddenly the entire magical community seems to focussed on Diana, and more specifically a mysterious and alluring vampire named Matthew.

The author, Deborah Harkness, is herself a college professor of the history of science so she writes with knowledge and this shines through to the book.  During the real-time read various photographs and music were posted to illustrate what places looked like, enhance the mood of events and in some cases expand on information contained in the book.  Although the book does not require the additional media, and I definitely enjoyed it first time round, the bonus bits definitely do add that third dimension.

Speke Hall: author's inspiration for the Old Lodge

(posted to Facebook by Deborah Harkness)

The only regret I have about this book is that I didn't read it earlier!